- Prepare the cover- In a bowl mix together the maida, cornflour, salt, and sugar. Slowly add water in small parts and start kneading to make a dough. Let it rest for half-hour till you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling- In a skillet heat sesame oil. Add in the julienne veggies-carrots, cabbage and cottage cheese, salt, pepper, cumin, ginger-garlic paste, and sesame seeds and mix.
Add the vinegar, chilly sauce, and soy sauce and give it a toss and take it off from the heat.
Optional- The filling can be sautéed with sauces separately for each vegetable to make a more beautiful looking inside of the spring roll. While filling the roll, place one vegetable at a time side by side to make a more symmetrical look inside.
- Making the rolls- Divide the dough into small balls of 1-2 inches each. Roll it out thinly. place 2-3tsp of filling in the middle horizontally of the rolled-out dough.
Folding- Fold the bottom flap up. Now fold once from left to middle. Next fold from right to the middle on top of the previous folds. Now roll it up to cover with the remaining one flap. Repeat for all the spring rolls.
Let it rest for 15-2- min with a semi-damp cloth on top.
- Frying the spring rolls- In a kadhai or pan heat oil. The oil should be really hot before frying the spring rolls. Fry each roll until the outside is a golden brown.
- Serve- Serve hot alongside Del Monte Classic Eggless Mayo, some red chutney, and green chili sauce.
1. The spring rolls can also be made with store-bought spring rolls wraps. You can avoid the steps for making the cover in this recipe.
2. The spring roll cover can also be made with whole wheat flour. The amount of liquids required for kneading the dough will differ slightly in that case.
3. Any vegetables can be used as per your preference for the filling in spring rolls. Add in onions, spring onions, Bok Choy, etc.
4. Make sure the oil is hot before frying or the rolls will become stiff in semi-hot oil. Handle hot oil carefully.
Enjoy your meal!